Sunday, January 10, 2010

McDonalds Trouble

We had some McDonalds in the Lloyd Center Food Court this afternoon just before watching a movie. When I saw the guy behind the counter, I knew this was not going to be an easy exchange. He was about 18 years old and had a vacuous stare with an all-around drugged-out look; it was pretty obvious there was not much going on behind his eyes. I ordered a Double Cheeseburger Mighty Kids Meal with no pickles. He took 20 seconds to stare at his register and punch some buttons then asked if I'd like that in a meal or by itself. I told him that I wanted it in a meal, and repeated myself . . . "it's a Double Cheeseburger Mighty Kids Meal with no pickles". Again, the guy punched buttons for 20 seconds, looked at me, and asked what kind of Meal that was. I said "What?"; he asked if I wanted Chicken Nuggets in the meal or a Hamburger. We were now at least a minute and a half into this exchange, I had more food to order, and this guy couldn't understand "Double Cheeseburger Mighty Kids Meal with no pickles". And we hadn't yet gotten to the drink.

That was more than I could take. I remember thinking to myself that in this economy it's incredible that this idiot has a job, then I looked at a manager standing at the next register and asked if there was someone else who could take my order. The manager told me that this guy was new. I said I don't care – he's an idiot. The manager came over and helped the guy put in the rest of my order. By the time he finished with the register and gave me my total, the food was already prepared and on a tray at the counter.

Perhaps my expectations are too high, but until you can understand "Hamburger Happy Meal", you have no business working a McDonalds cash register.

3 comments:

  1. Goodness!!! I would have said something to the manager, this seems more than just stupidity, and more like drugs.

    When were you there? Dan and I were Lloyd Center at 3pm to see Sherlock Holmes!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happened about 5:30. We were there to see 'Alvin and the Chipmunks, The Squeakual' at 6:05.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were leaving at 5:45. Just missed you. So how did you like the movie? Chandler and Jamie really liked it.

    ReplyDelete