Sunday, January 10, 2010

Incredible Essay - If you want to speak English, PLEASE read this

I can't believe I've never been exposed to this!

I just ran across an incredible essay making the point that written English is in decline. The author agrees that the decline of written English may be partially caused by a general decline in critical thinking by society. However, he argues that there is a feedback that is even stronger - that the decline of written English causes a general decline in critical thinking throughout society.

I love this essay because I am a stout defender of clarity in communication. Some consider me to be a grammer Nazi; from my own writing, anyone with a decent grasp of formal English can tell that this is far from true. What I do believe is that words MEAN SOMETHING, and the ultimate goal in any writing is to convey that meaning at clearly as possible. (This is also my take on technical drafting, and why I dislike ANSI/ASME Y14 and ISO 128, often finding myself in disagreement with those who cite them as scripture . . . but that is a topic for another time)

The wonderful thing about this essay is that it was written by George Orwell in 1946. In case you care to read the entirety of "Politics and the English Language", please follow the link.

Orwell's conclusions ring even more true today than in his time. In fact, it is incredible to see his examples of bad English and compare them to contemporary usage.

I do not believe I have ever seen this piece by Orwell. This is probably due to the political examples cited by Orwell. This is, after all, a post-WWII work. For example, Orwell states that the word 'Fascist' now signifies "something not desirable", and that it is impossible to stand against 'Fascism' when the word has lost its true meaning. Although this is much more true today than it was in 1946, it is nonetheless a topic that a public school teacher may be afraid of confronting head-on. In addition, I believe the piece does have slightly anarchist undertones.

Everyone should read at least the first few paragraphs, and take away the following of Orwell's rules:

1 - Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

2 - Never use a long word where a short one will do.

3 - If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.

4 - Never use the passive where you can use the active.

5 - Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

6 - Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous

No comments:

Post a Comment