Friday, January 22, 2010

Another FULL Day!

Today's main activity was my interview with Acumed, but there was enough other stuff going on that the day was one of those that just go on and on and on . . . at least it was all pretty fun.

INTERVIEW

This morning I dropped Alex off at school, then headed to Hillsboro to interview at Acumed. I didn't know what traffic was going to look like, so I arrived about an hour early. Parking myself in a Starbucks a mile down the road, I sipped a Venti Pike's Place Blend while researching Acumed and some of their key technologies on the web.

Acumed makes Orthopedic Implants (bone screws and plates, mostly) for the extremities (shoulders, arms, elbows, hands, legs, ankles, feet, etc). I was pleased to find that Acumed's lobby has a full-sized skeleton with more bone plates attached than anyone wants to ever have. It showcases many of Acumed's products. This is what Evil Knievil's skeleton probably looked like near the end of his career . . . he still holds the Guinness World Record for the most broken bones over his lifetime.

I spent two hours in the interview, and think it went well.

CAR PROBLEMS

When I left and got in my truck, it wouldn't start! It seemed to have a dead battery. This was odd - the battery is getting weak, so that if I don't drive it for a couple days I have to jump it, but it's not so bad that it would strand me. Yet. Because I was parked right outside the lobby, I didn't want people seeing me futzing with the truck, so I pulled out my cell phone and started walking. Wanting to be a little discrete, so that Acumed did not see me with a tow truck or taxi in the parking lot, I called Tiffany and asked her to come give me a jump . . . she was willing, but wasn't sure about weaving her way through downtown on I-84, then I-5, then I-405, then finally OR-26, in traffic, without taking a wrong turn and getting lost. My mother (Grandma Kennedy) offered to make the 45 minute drive to come give me the jump, and I graciously accepted. While I was walking in the rain and cold and talking on the phone, I remembered that there is a fuse that has blown before in the truck . . . it could have a blown fuse. I ended up walking about a mile in the cold and rain to Fred Meyer, where I bought a package of fuses and a magazine, then walked next door to Starbucks, where I sat with the magazine and another Venti Pike's Place Blend, waiting for my rescue.

When we finally got back to my truck, we pulled up alongside it so using the jumper cables would be quick and easy, but before popping the hoods I checked the fuses. Sure enough, it was just a blown fuse. I changed the fuse and drove home. I don't believe anyone at Acumed has a clue what happened . . . that is, unless they find this blog, of course! That's actually not an entirely unlikely scenario, if they follow the internet bread crumbs. If they do, however, I really don't mind; now that it's over, it seems like a pretty comical occurrence.

BROKEN GLASSES

On my way home, Tiffany called to tell me that Alex had an unfortunate event at school. Last year at Sifton he had been sent to the principal's office quite a few times for pushing or shoving; we have been teasing him that we were proud of him for not going to the principal at all this year at Fisher's Landing, until a couple weeks ago when a screw came out of his glasses and the principal fixed them. In his office. Today a screw fell out again and was lost. I met Tiffany in the driveway at home and we hurried to our Optometrist at HoneyBee Eye Care in Hazel Dell. Dr. Hurtubise replaced the screw and got Alex's glasses back in shape just before she closed up shop for the evening.

We made a quick stop at Wal-Mart so Tiffany could exchange some socks she received for Christmas, and Alex bought himself a Remote Controlled car. The car is a Nascar #18 . . . this is the M&M car, one of Alex's favorites.

FAMILY GAME NIGHT

Finally, we were off to the Fisher's Landing Family Game Night. The PTO had filled the gym with various games, from board games to basketball. There were quite a few people there. I was particularly proud that there were about a dozen of the Chess Club's sets out, and they were ALL filled!

Alex begged to play Twister, but I refused.  We tried to get him to join a game with other kids, but he didn't want to.  We tried to play HORSE, but discovered that Tiffany can no longer throw a basketball high enough to make a basket . . . she used to be a pretty good shot, and could easily beat me in HORSE, but she can no longer lift her arms above her head, so she can't throw the ball.

Alex beat me in a game of Connect 4.  I am very good at Connect 4, and almost NEVER get beat.  I got too sure of myself, though . . . Alex had three in a row; I didn't see it, and when he pointed to a different row and said "go there", I thought "okay, why not?"  That was the end of that game.  And the last time that EVER happens!  Then we played checkers.  Me against Alex, but Tiffany was on Alex's side of the board, helping him quite a bit.  I beat them handily.

GLOW SABER SEMINAR

We were only able to spend 30 minutes at the Family Game Night before we had to hurry off to East West Martial Arts, where Alex takes Karate and Kick Boxing. They had a special seminar where they gave each child a glow-in-the-dark saber (really, a long plastic tube with a couple large glow sticks inside), turned the lights out, and taught them basic saber moves; all the while the Star Wars soundtrack was playing in the background. The kids loved it. The darkness was often punctuated by some kid yelling something like "This is COOOOOL!"

TOMORROW

Finally we were able to return home, where Alex took a shower and went to bed. Tomorrow we've got to get up and go to Salem, where the Soap Box Derby is having their winter party - the kids are all bowling together. It's going to be nice to once again see the friends we made last summer at the track. It also is a reminder to me that the next race is only eight weeks away, and I haven't touched the car since the last race! I had all kinds of plans for the car this winter, but somehow they have not yet happened. I need to get on the ball!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a busy day. Sounds like you will have a busy weekend as well! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete