Tuesday, October 6, 2009

School Skate Night


Tonight we went to our first Fisher's Landing school skate night, and we had a lot of fun. There were a lot of people at Golden Skate; the roller rink was a little crowded at times. It's hard to tell, but I would say there were about 150 people in the building. There were at least three or four other boys from Alex's class, and I was happy to meet some of his classmates. There were door prizes drawings for Fisher's Landing items (water bottles, pencils, etc); Alex did not win a door prize, but he did FINALLY win the dice game. In this game you stand under a number and they roll a giant die to eliminate people until only one person was left. Alex has wanted to win this game for a couple years, and tonight he FINALLY did it. The prize was a free small soda. I also convinced Alex to play Lazer Tag. This is played with 10 people at a time, and they said that they normally have one game per night; tonight there were three games. I discovered as I entered that I was the only adult playing – this made me a favorite target. My gun was not working, but I had fun running and hiding from the kids, then making a big deal when they shot me.

One of the very interesting things about the place was Michael Jackson.  Golden Skate's heyday was during (or even before!) Michael Jackson's reign as the king of pop.  Now, there are a couple posters on the stage beside the skating floor memorializing Jackson.  Near the end of the night they played 'Beat It'.  It was incredible to watch the 8 and 9 year olds, whos parents were probably 8 or 9 when the song came out, scream 'Michael Jackson' during the unique opening, then sing the entire song word-for-word.

No comments:

Post a Comment