Friday, October 9, 2009

Fisher’s Landing Volunteer Work – Math Facts & Chess Club

Yesterday was my first stint at doing Math Facts with the 3rd graders in Alex's class. I'm going in once a week for an hour and administering what used to be 'timed tests' back in the day. They no longer rely on a set time goal, but rather on observation of the student's pacing to ensure that they are recalling facts, rather than counting on their fingers. The odd thing is that I still count when I recall some math facts. 5 + 8 = 13. But I have to count. I can count as fast as I can say the problem, but still . . . I count. Always have, always will. I'm also helping kids out one-on-one with whatever the teacher may have written in their file. Basically, I'm tutoring math one hour a week.

Also, the Chess Club is looking more and more like a 'go'. Several weeks ago, I responded to a request for parents who are experienced chess players and willing to 'help out' with the Chess Club and Fisher's Landing. I replied that I had played quite a bit back in the day, including tournaments, but that I haven't played in quite a while, and would be willing to 'help'. The response was basically, "GREAT! We've been looking for someone to start a Chess Club for several years!" There were a couple other 'volunteers' – at least one much more advanced than me, and some who do not know how to play chess – but all of them were smart enough to say they will not commit to organizing, or even making it to every weekly meeting. I alone did not take a big step back.

Plans have been made; equipment has been purchased; flyers are going out in next week's bulletin. Despite not yet having an official announcement, there are already 14 kids who want to join Chess Club, and most of them have never played. Our first meeting is on November 5, and we're limiting it to 20 kids to start out with, although I think the program has the potential to grow much larger. I would like to reach out to all kids, all the way from kindergartners who have never played, all the way up to 5th graders who want to prepare for tournament competition. My immediate goals are twofold: First, do not look like an incompetent fool. Second, I would like the beginners to know the fundamentals and be able to sit down and play a game at home within 6 weeks.

I have less than 4 weeks to prepare. I'm going to be reading a lot of "How to teach chess" books, as well as trying to put together a 6-part lesson plan that will bring a non-player up to speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment