Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Missed Opportunity – Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Alex has spent the past week reading the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books nonstop – some of them more than once; he is now nearly finished with the latest book, "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days". I just found out that the author, Jeff Kinney, is on the release tour for this book, and was at a Powell's in Beaverton on Monday evening! He has a full-time job and does not tour much; this was a whirlwind trip down the West Coast with only about 5 stops, then he goes home. I can't believe we missed this opportunity! I'm sure it would have been a madhouse, with a LONG line, but I wish I would have known about this.

Alex is treating these books with extra care, and has given them a shelf of their own – taking care that they are always placed neatly and in the correct order. He would have LOVED to have them signed!

Also, I really like the idea of him meeting an author to show him that REAL people write books. I think it's important to show him that authors, actors, athletes, politicians, firemen . . . whatever . . . are REAL people. That way, he is aware of the opportunities, and that HE can do any of those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment