Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Chess Club at Fisher’s Landing

Last Friday there was a note in the Fisher's Landing bulletin asking for volunteers to help with the Fisher's Landing chess club. Of course, I inquired about it . . . if I can get Alex to join the chess club, I would LOVE to volunteer to help. The problem is that Alex was in Sifton's chess club in first grade, and was bored with it. He says he likes chess, but he doesn't like playing game after game; instead, he wants to play one game and be done with it. In school, I was a very good club and tournament chess player; I have not played seriously in many years, so I am now very rusty, but I still love the game.

Finally, I coaxed Alex into trying the chess club, and promised him that if he's bored after his first game he can go read or do homework while everyone else plays chess.

After inquiring, I found that Fisher's Landing has not had a chess club, but the PTO is looking for someone with chess experience to start one.

Oh!!!

Chess experience I do have, but starting a club is a little more than I had in mind; I said I'd like to do it, but not necessarily if I'm the only volunteer.

I heard today that there are two other people interested, but none of them have fully committed. I think we're going to have a meeting soon to discuss what we might be able to put together.

I'm very excited to start this club, but also a little hesitant that I might not be able to pull it off well. Please wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment