Monday, September 28, 2009

Alex’s new Scout Segments


It's after 11 PM, and I just finished sewing on the segments Alex just got at Cub Scouts. He got one for Day Camp and another for the bicycle rodeo last week. Sewing segments is made even more difficult because last year I agreed to Alex that I would not sew his pockets closed. This means that I can not use a sewing machine because it can not reach inside the pockets, and that I am turning the pocket inside out for each and every stitch.

For some reason, Alex LOVES me to have to spend hours sewing on his uniform. In fact, he will be changing packs sometime in the next week or two. His old pack was 402. His new pack will be either 545 or 462. He is supposed to base the decision on whether to stay with old friends or make new friends, but he has already told me that he prefers 545 because if he chooses 462 I will only need to change ONE digit . . . with 545, I will need to change ALL THREE of them.

Every time I sew patches on, I reconsider using the iron-on kits sold at the scout store. This is basically double-sided, heat activated tape. You put it on the back of the patch then iron it onto the shirt. I worry that it will not stand up to the abuse doled out by an active 8 year old. When I sew the patch on, I KNOW it's not going to fall off in the wash.

When I first saw the iron-on kit, I thought it was for lazy parents. Now I think it's for smart parents. I guess I'm neither.

No comments:

Post a Comment