Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Laptop Problems!

Sunday evening as Tiffany and I were playing Uno over the internet and Alex was sitting next to me, looking over my shoulder, I dropped the laptop off the arm of the couch.  I'm not sure whether I was getting up or just adjusting my posture, but there it went . . . it rolled backward onto the carpet.  It landed softly upright, then rolled backward, with the screen closing as it went.  Watching the soft impact on the soft carpet, I was very thankful.  Until I picked it up and opened it.  I could still hear the Uno game going on, but the LCD screen was cracked.  Alex immediately yelled "It wasn't me!"  Of course it wasn't Alex . . . it was completely my fault.

That night, I searched the internet for a replacement screen.  I found two websites that had them.  One was $270, and the other was $125, with shipping.  I had not heard of either site, and both looked a little shaky.  ENU, my favorite PC parts supplier, does not list laptop screens on their website, so they likely do not carry them.  I did not see any similar laptops on Craigslist for parts.

Monday morning I went to Costco to exchange the laptop (it is only about 60 days old), and they exchanged it with no questions asked.  Literally . . . they never asked what was wrong with it!  Because it was originally purchased in Oregon, I had to pay $43 in sales tax, and I walked out with a new laptop.  Good deal.

Alex was concerned that Santa had made our laptop, so Costco wouldn't exchange it.  I told Alex that Santa had bought it at Costco, but Alex asserted that Santa makes everything.  Finally, I explained to Alex that Santa called Costco and asked them to exchange our laptop, and that Santa was going to make a new one for Costco to replenish their stock.  This Santa stuff is getting complicated.

Before exchanging the laptop, I had thought long and hard about what data I might be losing off the hard drive.  Of course, there is the obvious security concern with giving Acer back the hard drive, but I am not very worried about that.  I trust both Costco and Acer.  Because I was concerned with theft, I have not stored anything important on the laptop.  I should have plugged an external monitor into it and checked, but I didn't think that was necessary.

This morning, I realized that I lost about 8 hours' worth of writing.  I have been considering starting a Mechanical Engineering blog, and have been writing entries up ahead of time; I think I had about a dozen.  And they were all stored on my laptop desktop.  There is no way I can recreate those entries.  I will start over, but I will not be able to recreate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment