Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Snowfall & etc


We had a surprise snowfall this afternoon . . . it caught everybody by complete surprise. We got about an inch of snow over the course of a few hours – just enough to cover everything and build small snowmen out of. It has stopped snowing, but it is cold enough that the snow will stick around at least through morning.

Not long after the snow started, we went to see 'Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs' at the second-run Regal Cinemas by Vancouver Mall. Alex has read the book, and he loved the movie; he says it was exactly like the book. Although there were several good gags, I was a little disappointed in the film.

After the movie we went to Grandma Kennedy's house where Alex played in the snow with Madeline and Everett. We then went grocery shopping, got a couple Red Box movies, and headed home.

We cooked spaghetti with homemade meatballs then retired to our bedrooms to watch the Red Box movies. Alex watched 'The Bee Movie' again. I believe he saw the movie in the theater, and has seen it since, but he does not seem to be bothered by re-watching movies.

Tiffany and I watched 'Julie & Julia'. Before watching, I already had a chip on my shoulder about this movie because I absolutely detest Meryl Streep. I can't really say why. It could be her activism. I am annoyed with entertainers who are also activists; Meryl Streep's activism, however, is not as political as some, and she does support some great causes. Perhaps it is just my perception of her as a snooty snob.

Despite this thing I have against Meryl Streep, she is an incredible actress, and in this film her portrayal of Julia Child was wonderful. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the film. It is the telling of two independent true stories – the first is the story of Julia Child learning to cook French food in post-war Paris, then writing her now-famous book. The second story is of Julie Powell, who cooked all 524 of Julia Child's recipes in one year and blogged about it. I can't put my finger on why I liked it so well, except that it does combine several of my favorite things . . . history, cooking, writing, food, eating, and – oh – did I say food?

I think Tiffany fell asleep a couple times during the movie.

Jake is enjoying another rare night indoors tonight. It's really not too cold for him out there, but he did look pitiful in the snow, begging to come in. Maybe I'm getting soft. Maybe he's just getting old. Anyway, he's warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment