Saturday, September 4, 2010

Cottage Grove

We left last night for a trip Alex has wanted to do all summer . . . Wandering around SW Oregon. He wants to go to the Winston Animal Park and the Bandon Game Farm. There's quite a bit of driving involved so we have been waiting for a three day weekend. This will probably be our last trip of the Summer.

We left home last night heading toward our hotel reservation at Comfort Inn in Cottage Grove. We stopped at Harbor Freight in Salem to get some transfer punches for the Soap Box car, but ended up getting quite a bit more, including an RC car for Alex and a 72" level that was on sale for an incredible $15!

On our way south, I was watching the traffic map on my Droid that was showing a huge tie-up in Eugene; the tie-up had been there since we left Portland.

When we hit Eugene about 8:30, it looked like I-5 was almost shut down so we decided this would be a good time to stop for dinner. We went to a Skippers a couple miles East of the highway where a truck driver told us that a pickup had rolled over on the highway. We asked around about how to get South of town without taking I-5, but nobody had any good, easy directions.

When we were done eating we started following any road that headed South but didn't run into I-5; we had the GPS so we weren't TOTALLY blind, but it was dark and we were driving through what looked like extremely bad neighborhoods. I've often said that one of the good things about Portland is that there really aren't any neighborhoods that, as a grown man, I absolutely would NOT walk through after dark. I might be a little uncomfortable, and watch my back closely, but I would likely make it through. We drove through neighborhoods in Eugene and Springfield that I would not walk through.

We finally hit a traffic-free Interstate south of town and drove the remaining 20 minutes to our hotel, arriving about 10:00. Alex and I played in the outdoor heated pool for about half an hour (that boy is a FISH!!!), then we watched the last hour of 'Titantic' and feel asleep.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.8

No comments:

Post a Comment