Friday, September 3, 2010

AC Nutter

I got Alex out of the house early this morning to visit AC Nutter's shop. AC has been building race cars, race car engines, and race car drivers for decades. He is one of the big names behind Greg Biffle's success, and built every one of Biffle's engines right up until he was signed on by Rousch Racing. Alex was actually pretty excited to meet him and didn't give me ANY problem getting up early to go. Although I have a couple connections to AC (He went to High School with my father-in-law and has built an engine for my brother-in-law), I have never met him. We just drove to his shop and introduced ourselves.

We talked Soap Box Derby for a while. AC remembered there being Soap Box races in Vancouver when he was a kid, and jumped on his computer to pull up the websites . . . He was very interested. He had lots of good tech advice based on his decades of involvement with various types of racing. Much of his advice sounds pretty good, and is a little different than what I hear at the track. And some of it . . . Just SOME . . . Would actually be legal. (Sorry, But no, we won't be rod drilling our axles!) We had brought in a part to ask him to do a little mill work on. Instead of doing the work, he actually came up with a way I can do it myself with a drill press, and it will be just as accurate (or even more accurate).

We ended up having to run to get Alex to school on time. After dropping Alex off, I called back to apologize for running, and to thank AC for his ideas. He wants me to bring the car in for a little show-and-tell. Turns out he has a machinist working for him who has a 6 year old daughter who lives and breathes race cars, and they might want to try this out. I figure getting this guy's eyes on our car can yield nothing but good things. We're going over next week after putting the car back together for the next race, but before aligning it.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.8

No comments:

Post a Comment